Category: Sustainable Development
Introduction to Sustainable Development
The Consulting Engineering industry launches a new set of practical guides for use by all those involved in developing infrastructure. The launch took place September 2013 in Barcelona at the FIDIC Centenary Conference. Under the banner “Quality of Life – Our Responsibility”, the conference focused in particular on urban environments where 75% of the challenges are manifested:
- A new approach to Sustainable Infrastructure is vital to our Quality of Life.
- World economies have been seriously weakened by unsustainable development and excessive consumption.
- Humanity faces serious environmental challenges, including degraded land and soil, depleted natural resources, polluted air and water, and now, severe climate risks.
Society is looking to this industry to formulate a holistic approach on the role of cities in addressing sustainability challenges. Consulting Engineers and Architects, as key advisors in the delivery of sustainable infrastructure, have developed more sophisticated technologies to tackle innovative solutions to energy, water and transport usage in a more coordinated way.
Publications and their editions represented with definitions in FIDICTerms, Sustainable Development category
The editions of the FIDIC Sustainable Development publications referenced to populate the glossary of terms in FIDICTerms currently include:
- Project Sustainability Management - Applications Manual, 2nd edition (2013).
- ABC for Sustainable Cities - a glossary of terms by FIDIC in cooperation with EFCA, supported UNEP and UN HABITAT, 1st edition (2015).
Sub-Categories within the Integrity Management Category on FIDICTerms are as follows: